The major responsibilities of the Mines Division are the enforcement of legislation and safety regulations relating to mining, quarrying and explosives, and the planning and management of quarrying contracts.
The Division, which has three sections, is headed by a Chief Geotechnical Engineer and each section is headed by a Senior Geotechnical Engineer.
The Division is also responsible for giving approval for inclusion of a site crusher in a works project and the issue of Mine Blasting Certificate, Removal Permit for Explosives, Mode A Explosives Store Licence, Mode B Explosives Store Licence and Blasting Permit. Mine Blasting Certificate permits the shotfirer to use explosives in blasting. A Removal Permit allows a person to convey any explosives by land transport within Hong Kong. Mode A Explosives Store Licence permits the storage of blasting explosives. Mode B Explosives Store Licence permits the storage of certain type of explosives such as safety cartridges for industrial fastening tools, cartridges for small arms and marine distress signals. A Blasting Permit allows the Contractor to use explosives at a work site for the carrying out of blasting. The Division is responsible for delivering explosives to blasting sites and carrying out audit inspections at times that match with the works activities of the contractors.
- Mines Division Practice Notes
- Mines Division Guidance Notes
- List of Approved Explosives in Hong Kong
Details on how to obtain approval for inclusion of a site crusher in a works project and how to apply for the above permits and licence are given below
- How to obtain approval for inclusion of a site crusher in a works project Download PDF (353KB)
- Guidance Note On Approval of Explosives in Hong Kong Download PDF (68KB)
- Mine Blasting Certificate and Authorization to Use Explosive Download PDF (85KB)
- Guidance Note On Application and Handling of a Removal Permit for Mode B Store Licensees Download PDF (162KB)
- Guidance Note On How to Apply for a Mode A Store Licence for Storage of Blasting Explosives Download PDF (349KB)
- Guidance Note On Licensing and Operation of Mode B Stores Download PDF (347KB)
- Guidance Note On How to Apply for a Blasting Permit Download PDF (272KB)
Fees (with effect from 1 February 2019)
- Fees for Storage of Explosives in a Government Explosive Depot
- Fees for Delivery of Explosives by the Government
- Fees for Mine Blasting Certificate
- Fees for Licence/Permit to Manufacture, Store, Move , Possess or Use Explosives
Application can now be submitted electronically. Different options are available as follows:
Centralised Explosives Licensing And Management System with registered account；
- Online Application Forms without registered account；
- Download Application Forms as required. Prepare the submission according to the General Format, Manner and Procedure for the Submission of Electronic Information under Law by virtue of the Electronic Transactions Ordinance；and submit the application to email@example.com
Applications by post or fax are also accepted. CEDD does not provide in-person application services.
By post: 6/F, South Tower, West Kowloon Government Offices, 11 Hoi Ting Road, Kowloon.
By fax: 2714 0193