Home > Public Services > Explosives, Blasting and Quarries > Frequently Asked Questions

Public Services

Frequently Asked Questions
Please select from the following FAQs


Category 1 Dangerous Goods FAQs

Q1: What are explosives or Category 1 Dangerous Goods?

A1: Explosives (i.e. Category 1 Dangerous Goods under Dangerous Goods (Application and Exemption) Regulations, Cap. 295A) are substances or articles manufactured with a view to producing a practical effect by explosion.

Use of Explosives FAQs

Q2: What are the licences and permits required for using explosives in rock excavation?

A2: The contractor of the project must obtain a valid “Licence to Possess Category 1 Dangerous Goods” and a valid “Permit to Use Category 1 Dangerous Goods” before using explosives in rock excavation. The licence and permit will be issued within 2 working days after the contractor has completed all pre-licensing requirements.

For further information, please see : How to apply for a blasting Permit.

Q3: Who can use explosives for blasting work?

A3: Only a person who holds a valid Mine Blasting Certificate issued under Regulation 22, Mines (Safety) Regulations, Cap 285B, or authorized under Regulation 47, Dangerous Goods (General) Regulations, Cap 295B, is allowed by law to prepare or discharge any charges, charge any hole with explosives or conduct any blasting operations.

For further information, please see : Mine Blasting Certificate and Authorization to Use Explosives.

Storage of Explosives FAQs

Q4: How can I apply for a licence to store blasting explosives on site? How long will it take?

A4: For storage of blasting explosives for rock excavation, the applicant should identify a suitable location for a Mode A store (explosives site magazine) to suit his blasting operations.  It should have an adequate safety separation distance from buildings and facilities.  Once a suitable location is identified, the applicant should submit an application letter with supporting information and documents to Mines Division, Geotechnical Engineering Office, Civil Engineering and Development Department for processing.  With input from the Hong Kong Police and, if necessary, the Fire Services Department, pre-licensing requirements for the construction and security of the explosives magazines will be set out for the applicant to comply with.  The licence for an explosives store will be issued within 2 working days after constructing the explosives store, complying with the pre-licensing requirements and any other requirements imposed by other Government departments or regulatory authorities, e.g. the Environmental Protection Department.

For further information, please see : How to apply for a Mode A Store Licence for Storage of Blasting Explosives.

Q5: How can I find out the requirements for licensing a Mode B store?

A5: The explosives to be stored in a Mode B store must be approved for use in Hong Kong.  Where several types of explosives are to be stored in the same Mode B store, the applicant must demonstrate that they can be stored safely together.  In addition, Mines Division, the Hong Kong Police Force and the Fire Services Department may impose other safety, security and fire fighting requirements with respect to the location and construction of a Mode B store.

For further information, please see : Licensing and Operation of Mode B Store.

Conveyance of Explosives FAQs

Q6: Who can apply for a Removal Permit to convey (transport) blasting explosives?

A6: A contractor holding a valid “Licence to Possess Category 1 Dangerous Goods" and a ‘Permit to Use Category 1 Dangerous Goods’ can apply for a Removal Permit, as required under DGO, to convey by road blasting explosives.  The contractor also needs to obtain a Removal Permit if he requires Mines Division to deliver explosives to a blast site or a licensed temporary explosives magazine.  The application should be made using a prescribed form and submitted to Mines Division for processing.

For further information, please see : MDPN1 Delivery of Blasting Explosives and Related Safety and Security Procedures.

Q7: Can a delivery courier apply for a Removal Permit on behalf of his client?

A7: No.  The applicant for a Removal Permit must be the owner of the explosives products or his representative who must understand the hazard inherent in the type of dangerous goods being conveyed and the procedures to be followed in case of an accident or an emergency.

For further information, please see : Application and Handling of a Removal Permit For a Mode B Store Licenses.

Q8: Do I need a Removal Permit to cover the movement of explosives within the restricted area of Chek Lap Kok International Airport?

A8: Yes.  Removal Permits are required to cover the movement, including transhipment, of explosives on the ground within the Chek Lap Kok Airport.

Q9: Can one Removal Permit cover the conveyance of explosives involving several destinations on the same route?

A9: No. Each Removal Permit covers the conveyance of explosives from one location to another location via a designated route. If explosives are moved from one location to several other destinations, a Removal Permit must be obtained for each destination even if the same delivery vehicle is used, the locations are on the same delivery route or adjacent to each other.

Q10: Can I make use of the vehicular tunnels, e.g. Lion Rock Tunnel or the cross-harbour tunnels to transport explosives?

A10: No.  Vehicles carrying explosives (Category 1 Dangerous Goods) are not permitted under the law to use any vehicular tunnels, including the cross-harbour tunnels.  There is a dangerous goods vehicular ferry service available for the transport of explosives to Hong Kong Island.

Fireworks and Pyrotechnics FAQs

Q11: Does the licence to possess Category 1 Dangerous Goods and the permit to use Category 1 Dangerous Goods issued by the Commissioner of Mines cover fireworks display?

A11: No.  Fireworks displays are regulated under Regulation 59 of the Dangerous Goods (General) Regulations, Cap 295B.  The Secretary for Home Affairs and Director of Marine are the regulatory authorities for the discharge of fireworks on land and at sea, respectively.

Q12: Do I need a licence to possess/use Category 1 Dangerous Goods issued by the Commissioner of Mines to discharge pyrotechnic materials for a film shoot or a theatrical performance?

A12: No. The Entertainment Special Effects Ordinance (ESEO), Cap 560, regulates the discharge of pyrotechnic special effects materials for a film shoot, a theatrical performance or a pyrotechnics show. The ESEO is under the jurisdiction of the Films Services Office of Create Hong Kong (CreateHK).

For further information, please visit theCreate HK Office's website, URL http://www.createhk.gov.hk/en/home.htm

Import and Export of Fireworks and Explosives FAQs

Q13: How can I import new commercial explosives products into Hong Kong for local use?

A13: New commercial explosives products must be approved for use before being imported into Hong Kong. To obtain such approval, you are required to complete the "Application Form for Approval of Non-blasting Explosives for Use in Hong Kong" or "Application Form for Approval of Blasting Explosives for Use in Hong Kong” and submit it together with the necessary supporting documents to Mines Division, Civil Engineering and Development Department, for consideration.

For further information, please see :
(a) Approval of Non-blasting Explosives for Use in Hong Kong or
(b) Approval of Blasting Explosives for Use in Hong Kong.

Enquiries FAQs

Q14: Where can I get more information on licences and permits issued under the Dangerous Goods Ordinance, Cap 295?

A14: Additional information on specific topics, such as Mine Blasting Certificates and the use, manufacture, storage and transport of explosives can be obtained from:

Chief Geotechnical Engineer/Mines
Mines Division,
25/F., Kwun Tong View,
410 Kwun Tong Road, Kowloon

or from the CEDD web site: http://www.cedd.gov.hk.

Further enquires can also be made by telephone, No. 2716 8666, fax, No. 2714 0193 or email: mines@cedd.gov.hk.